A person in the pits of chemical dependency or in any kind of disorder will sooner or later want to recover. What would you do if this person is someone close to you? What more if you are this person?
Currently, with the rising of many different disorders, many treatment centers have been sprouting. Usually, this management centers would need you to commit yourself in an institution where you can be checked by your attending physician. You accept no parts from the outside world, leaving your work or whatever it is that you do in idle.
Once a patient is released from being admitted to an institution, the problem of getting back to the normal routine comes in. This is where Intensive Outpatient Program comes in.
What is Intensive Outpatient Program or IOP? This is a type of program being used importantly as a treatment service. People experiencing substance abuse problems who wants recovery are given this kind of treatment service. This kind of clinical service has been developed in the early 1900s as a way of response to the famously managed care institutions. In this kind of program, the patient is given a more intense level of treatment compared to the level of treatment that was usually accessible for outpatients.
How does IOP works? Most of the time, patients are being grouped together with one clinician leading the group. Regularly, the group meets with the physician 2 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time. In this kind of program, the patient and the physician work hand in hand to accomplish successful treatment. The patient is being asked on her goals and objectives which will be included by the physician on the patient’s treatment plan. This working hand in hand creates sensation of control not just for the physician but also for the patient. The perception of being in control creates a positive outlook according to various studies. In most cases, positive outlook leads to positive results.
What are the advantages does IOP brings? Aside from giving the patient treatment while not taking them away from their standardl routine, it also improves management of stress, compliance in treatment, achieving goals, and coping skills. Also, this program also looks into the link between the patient and the family. What’s more special about this program is its way of treatment. It takes into account the unique need of the individual. One can always find an IOP program that is suitable for his or her special needs.
An IOP program can contain as many ingredients as possible. On the other hand, well-known programs can always consist of the following:
• The Counseling of the Individual. In this program, a counselor is being allotted to an individual that would cater for his or her recovery.
• The Counseling of the Family. One of the most affected in an individual’s disorder is its own family. In this kind of IOP program, the family will be educated about the disorder being inflicted on their loved one. Thus in the course, makes a supportive relationship for the patient.
• Group Counseling. This type of program creates hope, consideration and the perceptive that they are not alone in this battle.
• Disorder Education. The patient and the family are given here various workshops and knowledge concerning whatever disorder they are facing and the how can they be able to recover.
• 12 Step Programs. This is the very popular program branded for its use of the 12 steps.
Currently, there are quite a number of specialists who argue that IOP is more helpful than individual therapies especially in substance abuse or chemical dependency treatment. Although on an remarkable note, IOP can also be used on another type of problems such as eating disorders and so on. However, the thing that really matters is that for the individual to recover. After all, in this type of problem, you can never tell when you will be afflicted.
Intensive Outpatient Program is very helpful in treatment of borderline personality disorders, eating disorders, self-injury, chronic mental illness, as well as many others despite its popularity in addiction treatment.