Posted on Leave a comment

Different Kinds of Depression Treatments

In our present society, one of the things that have a tremendous impact to us is the growing cases of depression. The United States of America has been shelling out $3-$6 billion dollars a year for the recovery of depression. It has been predicted that on the coming of the year 2020, the fourth leading reason of the world’s disability will be attributed to depression.

On the overall population of people with depression, about 60% of them seek treatment every year. The remaining 40% choose to suffer from their depression. These 40% will not care. As obvious, those individuals who doesn’t show any care by looking for depression treatments will be more severely impaired compared to those who have been seeking depression treatments. It will only take some few years for people with depression to recover once they seek for help.

Depression actually has many available treatments. For the majority of people with depression, these depression treatments have been prove to work. Depression is recognized to be such a disorder that impairs an individual but with the many depression treatments that can work for anyone, it can always be overcome. Depression can always be controlled. Controlling can be by means of treating it biologically or psychologically.

To people who are suffering from depression, they can use drugs in order to recover. This is the form given by biological treatment. These drugs are of several types. Since 1960s, there are effective drug treatments that are already available to help people with depression. For the past years, there have been a growing number of discovered drugs that can treat depression. There are three popular types of drugs that are known to treat depression. These drugs are called tricyclic antidepressants,monoamine oxidase inhibitors, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. However,there are still available drugs other than these three.

In reducing the symptoms of depression, tricyclic antidepressants is best to used. In about 60% of depressed people, this drug is known to be effective in relieving acute symptoms of depression. However, this kind of antidepresamt drug causes negative side effects. It causes one’s mouth to dry, causes an individual to perspire severely, it causes one’s vision to get blurry, causes retention and sexual dysfunction.

On the other hand, monoamine oxidase inhibitors works the same as tricyclic antidepressant drugs. The only difference between the two is on their side effects. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors can cause more dangerous effects. These effects are known to be fatal. It can cause damage to the liver and can take one’s blood pressure to a higher level.

Finally, one of the latest type of antidepressant to be discovered are called serotonin reuptake inhibitor or SSRI. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors works similarly as tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. However, the good thing is SSRI’s side effects are less dangerous.

Psychological treatments helps people with depression by overcoming the factors that causes an individual to be diagnosed as depressive. Psychological treatments of depression have three factors: behavior therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and interpersonal therapy. Behavior therapy teaches the person skills in helping rise above new situations and engaging more in activities that gives pleasant emotions that helps people with depression to cheer up. The process of changing the wrong patterns of thinking of an individual that is able to cause the depression while teaching them new positive skills is what cognitive-behavioral therapy is all about. On the other hand, interpersonal therapy helps the individual in changing relationship patterns that creates dysfunction.

One doesn’t need to carry the burden of depression and its negative effects. There are a lot of depression treatments available for anyone who wants to recover from depression. You can always find it everywhere provided that you really are looking. Everything always starts with a choice.

There are many depression treatments available to help you recover from depression treatments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.